1.Gray, Richard: A History of American Literature Paperback – 18 Nov 2011
Updated throughout and with much new material, A History of American Literature, Second Edition, is the most up–to–date and comprehensive survey available of the myriad forms of American Literature from pre–Columbian times to the present.
- The most comprehensive and up–to–date history of American literature available today
- Covers fiction, poetry, drama, and non–fiction, as well as other forms of literature including folktale, spirituals, the detective story, the thriller, and science fiction
- Explores the plural character of American literature, including the contributions made by African American, Native American, Hispanic and Asian American writers
- Considers how our understanding of American literature has changed over the past?thirty years
- Situates American literature in the contexts of American history, politics and society
- Offers an invaluable introduction to American literature for students at all levels, academic and general readers
Paperback: 952 pages
Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell; 2nd Edition edition (18 Nov. 2011)
Product Dimensions: 17.3 x 3.1 x 24.8 cm
2. Elliott, Emory: The Cambridge Introduction to Early American Literature (Cambridge Introductions to Literature) Paperback – 29 Aug 2002
The Cambridge Introduction to Early American Literature offers students a literary history of American writing in English between 1492 and 1820, as well as providing a concise social and cultural history of these three centuries. Emory Elliott traces the impact of race, gender, and ethnic conflict on early American culture, and explores the centrality of American Puritanism in the formation of a distinctively American literature. Elliott provides an overview of the oral and written literature of the Europeans who explored, settled and colonised the North American continent. He goes on to focus on the New England Puritans and demonstrates the lasting impact of their thought and writing on early American literature. Elliott traces the evolution of forms and genres that have come to be seen as quintessentially American. This highly engaging and comprehensive study will be essential reading for students of the literature, history and culture of early America.
Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: Cambridge University Press (29 Aug. 2002)
Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 1.2 x 22.8 cm
3. Byam, Levine, Franklin, Gura and Klinkowitz: The Norton Anthology of American Literature: v. 1 & 2 Paperback – 8 Jan 2013
The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Shorter Eighth Edition, features a diverse and balanced variety of works and thorough but judicious editorial apparatus throughout. The new edition, which also newly includes much-requested authors and selections and 130 in-text images, remains an unmatched value for students.
Paperback: 2850 pages
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company; Shorter Ed. edition (8 Jan. 2013)
Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 8.1 x 23.6 cm